Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Cards and Tags: Sassy Prima Girl Card

Our theme this week over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog is "M is for....."  I decided to go with "M is for masking tape."  I love the texture it can add to any creation.  Here's a card I made featuring masking tape and an adorable Prima girl named Natalie:



Usually when I use the Prima girl stamps (designed by the talented Julie Nutting), I make their dresses fancy and their backgrounds subtle.  This time I decided to change it up a bit and make a fancy background with a subtle dress.

I created the background by stacking up several strips of patterned paper from Bazzill's "Vintage Lace" line, which I added some stenciling to.  Next I whipped out the masking tape and crunched/scrunched some strips onto my background.  I painted over various spots of the background (including the tape) with Gesso and acrylic paints.  I sponged on Distress Ink for added depth.  I made Natalie's dress from a subtle teal paper and adhered it to the background.  Then I stamped Natalie onto a piece of overhead transparency film using StazOn ink, cut her out and glued her on top of the dress (kind of backwards, I know).  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but the effect is that she's sort of "fading" into the background in some spots, but still stands out.



Last but not least, I added the following sentiment from Wendy Vecchi's "A Form of Art" stamp set: "Her style was sassy with just a bit of attitude."



These girl stamps from Prima have endless possibilities.  Every time I use them, they remind me of my mom and my grandma who taught me how to make paper dolls when I was little.  I love that reminiscent feeling and I still enjoy thinking of how I can make each girl's outfit and personality unique.

Here are some of the supplies I used, which you can find at the Simon Says Stamp store:



How will you complete our "M is for....." challenge?  I can't wait to see what those clever minds of yours think up!  I genuinely find so much inspiration from seeing the projects you upload to our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  And remember!  When you enter, you qualify for the random drawing of a $50 voucher to spend at Simon Says Stamp.

50dollar_voucher_600px